Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Review: The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan


The Beautiful and the Cursed

Title: The Beautiful and the Cursed
Author: Page Morgan
Publisher: 
 Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publishing Date:  May 14th 2013
Pages: 352
Genre:  YA Paranormal Romance
Series: The Dispossessed #1
Source:  Audio

  




        
After a bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly is forced to leave London with her mother and younger sister, Gabby, trading a world full of fancy dresses and society events for the unfamiliar city of Paris.

In Paris there are no grand balls or glittering parties, and, disturbingly, the house Ingrid’s twin brother, Grayson, found for them isn’t a house at all. It’s an abandoned abbey, its roof lined with stone gargoyles that could almost be mistaken for living, breathing creatures.

And Grayson has gone missing.

No one seems to know of his whereabouts but Luc, a devastatingly handsome servant at their new home.

Ingrid is sure her twin isn’t dead—she can feel it deep in her soul—but she knows he’s in grave danger. It will be up to her and Gabby to navigate the twisted path to Grayson, a path that will lead Ingrid on a discovery of dark secrets and otherworldly truths. And she’ll learn that once they are uncovered, they can never again be buried.







I was weary of this book when I first read about it on Goodreads. I wasn't sure if it would be the same old paranormal stories out there and I wasn't sure about the whole gargoyle thing. When it was released I read many raving reviews from bloggers I love and adore... so I gave it a try. It was not overrated. This book was awesome. Beautifully written, fresh story, and breathtaking setting. 





Ingrid and her family move to Paris after a tragic event happened back in their home country. Ingrid is looking to start a new life but when she gets to Paris he finds that her twin brother is missing and has been for some time. No one will help her family find him. His reputation as a party boy causes the authorities to believe he is missing on purpose. Ingrid feels that something is wrong and she and her younger sister take it upon themselves to find their missing brother. The city is full of murders, gargoyles and dark secrets, Ingrid and her sister, Gabby, are in the middle of it all. 



I absolutely adored this book. It was dark, dangerous, mysterious, and romantic. The writing was beautiful and I was in love with the setting. I haven't read many books set in Paris, but from the ones I read, this one I loved the most. The dark places the author took me were just lovely. I loved reading about the old buildings, the city, and the streets. The author did a wonderful job describing and setting the feel for the the world that Ingrid and Gabby lived in. 

The story was not the normal paranormal romance. The romance in this story seemed to have stayed in the background and the mystery was the focal point. I liked the way this was done. I sometimes feel romances are too much the focal of the story and it makes the romance feel rushed and shallow. The romances in this book were just starting and still on the edge of becoming something good.  The build up was a nice slow pace and I didn't feel overly stimulated or lacked wanting for more. There was a slight start of love triangle and I am a little anxious to see how it will play out in the next installment. I am mot much on love triangles and I am not sure this one was needed. My choice would be easy but I am not sure it will be easy for Ingrid. 
Both sisters are on the road to romance. Gabby's is coming along a little bit quicker and I love her main squeeze. Ingrid is mixed up with two guys who are both totally in love with her. Ingrid isn't on the fast track for love, her main concern is her brother and it was fun to see the boys falling for her and she being so totally clueless. 

The POV of the book is told from Gabby and Ingrid. Both were extremely well done characters and where one lacked the other had plenty of. Ingrid was the more serious, more proper, and a bit stuffy. Gabby was the carefree one, the romantic one, the dreamy one. Both were brave, stubborn, and completely loyal to those they care about. 

There are three main men in the book and they all brought something great to the story. Luc, the mysterious, brooding, dark, bad boy whose only point in life is to protect. There is Vander, the book smart, nerdy, adorable, and my personal favorite, good ole boy... And finally there is Nolan who is just very entertaining. I know who I would choose but I am sure readers will all have their own favorites because really they are all yummy. 

The myth and story behind the gargoyles, hell hounds, and other mysterious creatures was amazing. The author put a little bit of everything into the story and it was just captivating. It was intense and magical. I was easily taken into the story and found myself lost in the wonderful world the author created. 




It was truly was an amazing experience and I can't wait to get to the next book. The ending just had me wanting more! 







4 comments:

  1. I won this from Page and I actually got a review copy as well. But I haven't read it but everyone wants me too. I really need to get this on stat! Thanks for the review, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...the story was just as beautiful as that cover. So glad this one didn't disappoint you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoh very nice review!! I have this in my TBR pile as well. Picked it up awhile back when I was at a convention and it was free! Been reading all the amazing reviews on it! There are just too many awesome books to read and never enough time to read them all! Will have to make time for this one--as I say about nearly every book in my TBR mountains!

    But again, great review! I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! Love the cover, and even though the synopsis sounds exciting, I can understand why would still be a bit skeptical - so glad this exceeded expectations. Great review, I've added it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs