Sunday, April 1, 2012

Review: Eve by Anna Carey

Eve (The Eve Trilogy, #1)
 Title: Eve
Author: Anna Carey
Publisher: Harper
Date: October 4th 2011
Pages: 318
Genre: Post Apocalyptic Distopian
Series: Eve #1
Source: Hardcover


Goodreads Summary:

Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth's population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school's real purpose--and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she's ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying. Readers will revel in "Eve"'s timeless story of forbidden love and extraordinary adventure.

Review:
Dystopians seem to be all the rage lately. I don’t mind so much since I love to read about crazy societies. This was a good story. One thing I like about dystopians, it’s rare to find similar stories. It is really hard to review the storyline without giving much away. The world is not what Eve thought. She learns that something terrible happens to the girls that graduate. After finding out the truth she plans her escape beyond the wall around the school. The story is well written and very intriguing. There is more character building than story in this book. I am sure the next book will have more of the story.

The main character, Eve, changes drastically throughout the book. When she leaves the school she is a naive, scared, innocent girl. By the end of the book she is braver, smarter, and her innocence has been left behind. She finds the world can be a beautiful but cruel place. Eve’s friend, Arden, was really the opposite of Eve. She left the school hard and grew to be more caring by the end. I loved the friendship between the two. It was great to see their hatred for each other grow into something good. I really want to like the love interest, Caleb, but I find that there wasn’t enough of him to really make a decisions. He seems to be a good guy, but still questionable. The interactions between the characters felt real to me and that is what made the story go from good to awesome.

This is a really great start to an amazing series. I am anxiously waiting for the next installment to come out.

Rating:


4 comments:

  1. Hi there :) just popping in...Sounds like an interesting read thanks for a great review!

    Book Enslaved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I love to read Dystopian too! Love the different ideas and great books. I love a kick-ass heroine and I hope Eve is one! I don't really enjoy romance so hope this book doesn't really have much romance in there to make me go ick!

    Aai Marsh @ Books With Marshmallows

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eve is one of those books you secretly want to read, but end up debating with yourself after reading all those mixed reviews. But let me tell you: Eve was a pretty satisfying read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked Eve. I admit that I teared up a little at the end. I'm looking forward to reading Once!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs