Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Review: Pillow Stalk by Diane Vallere

Pillow Stalk (Madison Night Mystery, #1)Title: Pillow Stalk
Author:  Diane Vallere
Publisher: Polyester Press
Publishing Date:  October 9th, 2012
Pages: 288
Genre: Cozy Mystery 
Series:  Mad for Mod Mystery 
Source:  Audio
 

HUMOR AND DANGER MELD PERFECTLY… "A multifaceted story...plenty of surprises...And what an ending!" – New York Journal of Books
Interior Decorator Madison Night might look like a throwback to the sixties, but as business owner and landlord, she proves that independent women can have it all. But when a killer targets women dressed in her signature style—estate sale vintage to play up her resemblance to fave actress Doris Day—what makes her unique might make her dead. The local detective connects the new crime to a twenty-year old cold case, and Madison's long-trusted contractor emerges as the leading suspect. As the body count piles up, Madison uncovers a Soviet spy, a campaign to destroy all Doris Day movies, and six minutes of film that will change her life forever.

I came across a review for the most recent book in this series on a blog. I don't remember which blog but the cover stood out to me and I liked the sound of the story. I am really loving cozy mysteries and I need more to read so I decided to grab this one up. On audio too! So easy, so fun, I loved this read. 
Madison is an interior decorator and her style is mid-century mod. Her inspiration is Doris Day. This is a bad time her little town to be inspired by Doris Day. Murders are happening to Doris Day look-alikes. The first murder was carried out with a pillow from Madison's car. Of course, she finds out that it isn't the actual first murder. A murder that happened twenty years ago fits the MO and the prime suspect with no arrest for that murder... her handyman. She is sure her handyman is not guilty and plans to prove it. She needs to hurry and solve this mystery because the bodies keep stacking up and she may just find herself as one of the targets. 

This book was so much fun. I loved it all. I loved the entire interior decorating aspect, especially that it is focused on mid-century mod. This is a woman after my own heart. I love the entire Doris Day connection. the mystery was so well put together and so much fun. 

The mystery... I am starting with the mystery because it was so well done. I didn't know what to think as I read through all that was going on. I mean so much pointed to the perpetrator being Madison's handyman but I didn't want to believe it and little things would happen that made me believe he just couldn't do it. But then something would happen and I would be like well maybe so. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I had my suspicions towards the end and I was right at that point... but it took me a while to get there. 

Madison... oh how I love Madison. I love her personality, her smarts, her creativity, her sass. She was so much fun and a tough cookie too. Even when she was scared she still carried on. Oh and her little puppy... I loved him too. 

There were some fun scenes in this book that just got me laughing out loud. Many scenes were giggle worthy. It was total fun. IT was a fast read, the pacing never slowed at any point. Even though it's a short book it didn't feel like it lacked in any part. The story, the writing, the character development all just right. 

There is romance, at least the start.. and I don't see it much, but a start of a love triangle. I don't think it will keep going in this direction I hope. I don't need this drama and really Madison doesn't either. She is way too old and mature for this kind of thing. 

The ending had me wanting more. I was, of course, satisfied because the mystery was solved, the killer caught, but I just need more of Madison and her crazy life. So I will be getting the next book asap. 



Just perfect for a cozy mystery. 




Diane Vallere

I grew up reading both Trixie Belden mysteries and Vogue magazine and learned how to spot a counterfeiting ring and accessorize a wardrobe. Now I use that knowledge to dream up plots for the Samantha Kidd, Madison Night, Material Witness, and Costume Shop mystery series. I still love accessories, only now some of them are accessories to murder.

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I love the Doris Day movie Pillow Talk and I like how this story plays with those references, I might have to pick this one up too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story sounds as adorable as the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this book, but it sounds adorable, and I am actually a HUGE Doris Day fan. I saw all her movies.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs