Monday, May 7, 2018

Review: The Art of French Kissing by Brianna R. Shrum


The Art of French KissingTitle:  The Art of French Kissing 
Author:  Brianna R. Shrum
Publisher: Sky Pony Press 
Publishing Date: June 5th, 2016
Pages: 256
Genre:  YA Contemporary Romance
Series:  Stand Alone
Source:  ARC
 
Seventeen-year-old Carter Lane has wanted to be a chef since she was old enough to ignore her mom's warnings to stay away from the hot stove. And now she has the chance of a lifetime: a prestigious scholarship competition in Savannah, where students compete all summer in Chopped style challenges for a full-ride to one of the best culinary schools in the country. The only impossible challenge ingredient in her basket: Reid Yamada.

After Reid, her cute but unbearably cocky opponent, goes out of his way to screw her over on day one, Carter vows revenge, and soon they're involved in a full-fledged culinary war. Just as the tension between them reaches its boiling point, Carter and Reid are forced to work together if they want to win, and Carter begins to wonder if Reid's constant presence in her brain is about more than rivalry. And if maybe her desire to smack his mouth doesn't necessarily cancel out her desire to kiss it.



I am not much for contemporary romance but this one really just called out to me. I love the cover and the title and the synopsis. I was very excited and couldn't wait to get this book in my hands. So excited when I received the ARC. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in this book. The story was super cute but the characters lacked for me. 
Carter has a dream of becoming a chef. She has had this dream since she was a wee little one and has worked hard to make this a reality one day. When she is accepted into competition for a scholarship to a cooking school, she knew this could be her one shot. She was ready for this. 

On the first day of the competition, she meets Reid. He seems like a nice guy, up until the moment he sabotages Carter in the very first cook-off. From this point on the two are at their best to mess the other one up. Until someone goes too far. 

Okay. I am super bummed about this book. I was really super excited and let me tell you the story was so cute and I would have loved it except for one issue. The main character, Carter, I just couldn't stand her. 

So here is the scoop on the story. It was fun. I loved the pranks, I loved the romance, except it, was with Carter.  I loved all the characters... just not Carter. The story was never slow, it kept my attention. I loved the story. I loved the ending. I loved most of everything.... but Carter. 

Carter was selfish, annoying, whiny, and very just mean. Some of the pranks were funny but really she took this way too far. Even after Reid apologized for doing it on the first day, she couldn't let it go. It was all about really screwing with Reid. I didn't feel like she really ever changed. She was really well pathetic. She needed constant reassurance and had no self-confidence. She started fights and arguments over little things. She just annoyed me. 

Reid was a great character. I really just loved him. He was super sweet and yes he messed up at first but didn't think all the way through it. Once he did he felt bad. He apologized. Then the prank war began and he really kept it pretty non-serious. Even when Carter was taking it too far. He was forgiving and charming and I just really liked him. I think he deserved better than Carter. 

I would have loved the romance, well I kind of did enjoy the romance. Once the truce was called and the romance started, Carter changed some. But not enough. The romance was sweet though only because of Reid. He was the star in this book. It would have been on the top of my list of romances if it wasn't for Carter. 

So where I am going with this is, Carter really ruined this read for me. I liked everything but her. I think even if she had grown by the end of the book, I could have dealt and enjoyed it a bit more. But no she really didn't. 

The ending did make me smile just a bit. I did like the ending. I just wish there would have been a different character other than Carter in this book. 

I had a hard time rating this book. The story was a 4 hearts, the romance was a 4 hearts, Reid was a 5 hearts, Carter was a -1 heart. So I went with a 2 hearts over all. 

I just couldn't handle the main the character. 



Brianna ShrumHey guys! I'm a YA author living in Colorado with my high-school-sweetheart-turned husband and two little boys. I love all things villainous, magical, and strange, and when I'm not writing, am usually buried in someone else's words in a book. You can usually find me drinking chai and reading by my Harry Potter Christmas tree, which I will probably never take down.



1 comment:

  1. Too bad! This does sound cute, but it's hard to get on board when the MC is so unlikable.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs