Monday, May 21, 2018

Bookish Banter:Tell Me About Retellings

A little Bookish Banter to get us through.  Bookish Banter is a little bit of banter about our bookish thoughts as we have a friendly discussion over a nice cup of tea. 

Let's discuss retellings. There are so many out there: Classics, Fairytales, Myths, and Lores... What are your thoughts on retellings?


Ash-
Retellings are some of my favorites. I love reading about how the authors can take other stories and make it into their own. 

The fact that these authors can take stories that are so well done and loved and amazing, and write stories equally amazing is great and very impressive. 

I don't have too much to say on retellings except that I love them.

Some of my favorites are...
Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the BeastBeastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1)Splintered (Splintered, #1)Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)Lost in Wonderland (The Twisted and the Brave, #1)Everland (Everland, #1)

Jenn-

I love retellings. Retellings are my thing. I have to admit that I have read more classic retellings then I have the actual classics. Like Tale of Two Cities- I have never read, but Tell The Wind and Fire- read and loved loved loved. So most of my classic knowledge has come from classic retellings. Kind of crazy right?

Image result for what gif


My favorite though... I love fairytale retellings. I love fairytales. The dark, twisted, scary, creepy, original fairytales. They are short though... so making the story longer and with either a modern day flair or just the authors own twist and take on the original makes me so so happy. I  have lots of favorites. 

The thing with fairytale retellings or classic retellings... I don't think you should go into it thinking and comparing to the original. I mean some are really close to the original and some are just an inspiration for the story.... like the Lunar Chronicles. They are inspired by the princess fairytales but they really are a story on their own. 

I don't think we have enough retellings around. There are so many that can still be done. No, I don't have any examples or ideas right now.... but I am sure in time I can think of many of them. There are so many great classics and fairytales out there. If they were a success then they will be again right! 

Image result for idea  gif



Long story short or short story long. Retellings.. I am all over it. As soon as I see a new one coming out...I add it and know I need it ASAP like as in now! 

Image result for need now  gif





Do you like retellings? Is there any you are waiting around for written or to be written?
Let's discuss!

3 comments:

  1. I like fairy tale retellings, I like when they're super creative and really twist the story. I'm waiting for a Cinderella retelling from the POV of the stepmother to be released!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like retellings too when I can make myself be in the mood for them. I loved all of Marissa Meyer's retellings so far. I hope when she's done with the superhero stuff she goes back to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I don't really have much interest in retellings, mainly because I don't like the classics that most are based on!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs