Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Review: Dark Eyes by William Richter



Dark Eyes

Title: Dark Eyes 
Author: William Richter
Publisher: 
 Razorbill 
Publishing Date: 
Pages: March 15th 2012
Genre:  YA Mystery-Thriller
Series: Dark Eyes #1
Source:  Audio

  

Get ready for the vigilante girl detective of the next generation.

Wally was adopted from a Russian orphanage as a child and grew up in a wealthy New York City family. At fifteen, her obsessive need to rebel led her to life on the streets.

Now the sixteen-year-old is beautiful and hardened, and shes just stumbled across the possibility of discovering who she really is. She’ll stop at nothing to find her birth mother before Klesko—her darkeyed father—finds her. Because Klesko will stop at nothing to reclaim the fortune Wally’s mother stole from him long ago. Even if that means murdering his own blood. But Wallys had her own killer training, and she's hungry for justice.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for teens, this debut thriller introduces our next big series heroine!



I bought this book right before the Austin Teen Book Festival, I wanted to try to get it read before meeting the author. It looked like a really good book, but I didn't pay too much attention to the synopsis. I never did get to the book, so I broke out the audio a couple of days ago and I was amazed. This book was full of action, mystery, and all kinds of good stuff that goes with a mystery thriller. I thought the writing was great, the pacing was perfect, the mystery was well written, and the characters were just nuts. It was quite a ride for me.




Wally found out she was adopted when she was very young. Her parents didn't want to talk about it and Wally felt they worked hard to replace all her Russian with American. Sometime after she found out she was adopted her father left which added on to her gloom. As a teenager she rebelled and ran away to live on the streets. Sixteen years old now, she finds clues to discovering who her biological mother was and they don't just lead to knowledge but a lot of trouble, danger, and hurt. Her biological father is a very dangerous man and he is also in search of Wally's birth mother. She must find her before he does or Wally  knows it will be too late. 




What a great read. I love mysteries and I love thrillers. This book had everything needed to make it a great mystery thriller. I loved the action, the suspense, the mystery, the characters, the story, and the danger. I was completely lost in this book while listening to it. 

The story is just wonderful. Full of deception, love, desperation, fear, and bunches of surprises. I thought I had the book figured out about halfway through, come to find I was wrong, (but only partially) I love to try to figure things out as the story unfolds and I love it when I can't seem to get it quite right. I love the twists and turns of a great mystery. 

Wally is one of my favorite characters. She is full of spunk, has a great big heart, and ever though she is very confused and living on the streets, she really does try to make the right decisions. She was born with lots of baggage already attached and its a wonder she is as wonderful as she is. I love her determination and I love her kindness, and I love the loyalty she has for those she loves. She is just all around super. 

There are many more characters throughout the book to love. Her street crew is great, Tevin especially. Her adopted mother is also great, understanding as much as she can. She never gives up, loves Wally unconditionally, and really just hopes for the best everyday her daughter is not with her. The other awesome character in the book is the detective. I can't think of his name right now. I hate when names escape me, but he is very awesome too. 

The pacing is perfect, the book has great story background and character building. It wonderfully written and  I loved every moment of listening to the book. 




If you like thrillers or mysteries or just a good story grab the book. Its awesome!




2 comments:

  1. This is one of those times where I feel like an idiot for judging a book by its cover. I love the cover you posted, but I'm thinking if I had ever come across the original cover with the girl on the front, I probably glanced at it and moved on. However, this sounds like a book I would TOTALLY dig. There isn't enough good mystery in YA and this sounds like something that would definitely qualify. I'm so glad I read your review! Thank you for sharing. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the other cover was kind of boring and not eye catching at all. I do like this one though.

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs