Thursday, March 28, 2013

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green


An Abundance of KatherinesTitle:  An Abundance of Katherines
Author: John Green
Publisher: 
 Penguin Group
Publishing Date: September 1st 2006
Pages: 229
Genre:  YA Realistic Ficion
Series: Stand Alone
Source: Audio

  

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun - but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.




Another John Green, I was excited to read another great book. I knew it would be. I have enjoyed every book I have read by him and I especially like them on audio. This was another great book. More humorous and less sad it was a happy read. Full of colorful characters, a road trip, and a little bit of romance, it was a big book of good stuff. I really liked the narrator too. I think he really caught the essence of Colin. 




Colin is obsesses with girls named Katherine… no spelling variations, no nicknames, just Katherine. He is about to start college when he is dumped by Katherine19 after dating just shy of a year. He is crushed. His best friend, Hassan, talks him into a road trip. Plans for nowhere in particular they end up in Gutshot Tennessee where they meet Lindsey Lee Wells and her mother and where they decide to stay for a while. During the their time in Tennessee, Collin decides to come up with a theorem on predicting how long a relationship with last with the next girl named Katherine. What Collin learns cannot be contained in a there




Loved the book, knew I would, and I will ramble on about how good the book is.

I am quite familiar with the seriousness and sadness generally contained in John Green’s book so the happy humor in this story really took me by surprise. I wasn’t quite expecting what I got, but I am so OK with that. This book was fun. Nothing too deep, just some good old fashioned light reading with that something special that John Green puts in all of his books. I was hooked from the beginning and in a trance to the end. I enjoyed the characters greatly and I think that may just be the something special.. the characters.

I liked Colin, he was interesting to say the least. He was unusual, geeky, smart, and little strange. I loved the way his mind worked and how honest he was. He didn’t find the value in telling someone what they want to hear but instead telling it like it is. He was a great character but not the one who stole the show for me. The star of the book for me was Hassan.

Hassan can’t really be put in words… but I will try in 5.. humorous lazy funny looking nerd. … doesn’t sound like a great mixture, but I enjoyed him immensely. I have read late. He always knew how to say and do the right thing. He also has a knack for making everyone love him. He is not the type that looks like people flock to him, but in this book they do. He is also a very loyal friend. He allows Colin to be the one in charge, the one up front, and the center of attention. What Colin needs or wants, Hassan allows. He tries to keep honest in what he does and follow the rules of his religion. His only fallback… he is pretty much lazy, but it didn’t change my opinion of him.

I really liked the story. I am not sure what was so appealing about a guy who is obsessed with Katherines but between the flashbacks and the present happenings, I just couldn’t get enough. Colin thinks he has it all figured out, but he really doesn’t. The story is about friendship, loss, and love, the three things that always get me. I was surprised how light the book was but it didn’t lack because of it. The characters still had issues, still had to grow, and there were some emotional ups and downs.. but the ups overpowered the downs and it kept the book fun.






I think I will read anything by John Green. This book is definitely different than the last 2 I read, but still awesome. I wasn’t disappointed and I remain a John Green fan!


1 comment:

  1. I think I probably started with the wrong John Green book...I don't think any of his other works will live up to my expectations now. :P

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs