Thursday, October 22, 2015

Review: The Uninvited by Cat Winters


The UninvitedTitle: The Uninvited 
Author:  Cat Winters
Publisher:  William Morrow
Publishing Date: August 11th 2015
Pages: 343
Genre: Adult Psychological Horror
Series: Stand Alone
Source: Audio
 
Twenty-five year old Ivy Rowan rises from her bed after being struck by the flu, only to discover the world has been torn apart in just a few short days.

But Ivy’s life-long gift—or curse—remains. For she sees the uninvited ones—ghosts of loved ones who appear to her, unasked, unwelcomed, for they always herald impending death. On that October evening in 1918 she sees the spirit of her grandmother, rocking in her mother’s chair. An hour later, she learns her younger brother and father have killed a young German out of retaliation for the death of Ivy’s older brother Billy in the Great War.

Horrified, she leaves home, to discover the flu has caused utter panic and the rules governing society have broken down. Ivy is drawn into this new world of jazz, passion, and freedom, where people live for the day, because they could be stricken by nightfall. But as her ‘uninvited guests’ begin to appear to her more often, she knows her life will be torn apart once more, but Ivy has no inkling of the other-worldly revelations about to unfold.

Another Cat Winters book to fall in love with. I have this thing with Cat Winters. I love her books, I enjoy her books, I get excited for her books. But for some reason, it takes me forever to get to her books. Cat Winters never dissappoints. This is my favorite read of hers yet. I loved loved loved it. I was thrown into the adventure very close to the beginning of the book and I  just couldn't stop it. I was very sad to see it end. Wonderful writing, amazing story telling, lovable and admirable characters, and yes of course a bit of the supernatural. 

Ivy has had a pretty hard year, lost her brother in the war, contracted the flu, and now she overhears her father and brother have committed a horrible crime. She is now recovered from the flu and her mother tells her.... this is not yours to worry about its time for you to find a life of your own... so Ivy moves out and finds her way. She makes friends, finds freedom in all that she does, helps the sick, falls in love with jazz, and everything seems to be going good. Ivy has this one issue. She sees dead people and when all the ghosts from her past start showing up, she knows something bad is about to happen and she must figure out how to protect those she cares deeply for. In the process,... well her world falls apart, 

Loved this book. I really didn't know what I was getting into at first except for the fact there are ghosts, its during the flu epidemic. and well that was it. The synopsis doesn't give much away and I won't either. It was to help Ivy pull at this one thread that unravels everything. Now the only complaint I have... which really isn't. I did figure it out before it was revealed. Now I don't know if i started to figured it out when I was supposed to or earlier on. I think we are supposed to figure it all out before Ivy does but I am not sure if I figured out earlier than intended. It felt like it. At anyrate... me figuring it all out did not matter. It did not take away from the story. It was still superb and wonderful. 

There were so many things to love about this book. The jazz atmosphere. I could hear it, I could feel it, Winters really brought the beginning of this era to life. It was a great addition to the story. 
The romance... yes there was romance and it was just perfect. It was more of a need than a love in this story but it was still romantic. The flu epidemic brought out so many good little stories. Th war and all those lost was also a great little addition the story. All these things were very important and brought so much into the big picture. It was pieced together wonderfully. 

Ivy was one of my all time favorite characters ever. I just adored her. Smart, strong, brave, persistant, good, She was so good. Huge heart. But she was also so strong. She did everything she could for others and hardly ever took time to think about herself. When she did, she felt guilty. She really came out in this story too. All those good qualities were just magnified when she came into her own. She truly was an admirable characters. 

I also loved loved loved Daniel. I couldn't have loved another character more in this book. Oh he was just perfect for the story. He was hurt, he was angry, he was broken, but yet he was the one that "fixed" what was broken. Yes I just loved him. 

This truly was an amazing read and a lovely story. I love that word lovely. I really don't think anyone could have told this story better. If you haven't read a Cat Winters book yet. Do it NOW. She is just spectacular and story telling. 

This book did have a great Halloween read quality to it. Very creepy at times and very suspensful. It had my blood a going. So yes a great October read but it can be enjoyed any time of year. So read it. 

On my favorites for this year. A++++



Cat WintersCat Winters is an award-winning author of YA and adult fiction. Her YA works include IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS, THE CURE FOR DREAMING, and the upcoming HAMLET-inspired 1920s novel, THE STEEP AND THORNY WAY (March 2016). Her debut adult novel, THE UNINVITED, released in 2015, and her second book for adults, YESTERNIGHT, is scheduled for 2016.

Winters was born and raised in Southern California, just a short drive down the freeway from Disneyland, which may explain her love of haunted mansions, bygone eras, and fantasylands. She currently lives in Portland, Oregon, with her husband and two kids. Visit her online at www.catwinters.com.

5 comments:

  1. I have an ARC of this and I have been meaning to read it forever. It sounds really good and I am glad you loved it! :D Thanks for getting me excited about this book again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me a ghosts! I'm surprised more stories don't take place during this time. So many people died....

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge Cat Winters fan and so I need to get my hands on this ASAP. It will be a perfect October read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, looks like I've got to check this one out soon then! I loved Cat Winters' In The Shadow of Blackbirds so much and this one sounds like it has some of my favorite qualities from that one. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adored this book, I am so glad you did too! Seriously, Cat Winters is so amazing at making you feel like you are IN the time that the book is taking place. She can do no wrong, in my book :) Fabulous review!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs