Saturday, June 9, 2018

Review: Whisper by Lynette Noni

Whisper (Whisper, #1)Title: Whisper
Author:  Lynette Noni
Publisher: KCP Loft 
Publishing Date: May 1st, 2018
Pages: 320
Genre: YA Science-Fiction 
Series:  Whisper #1
Source:  ARC
 

“Lengard is a secret government facility for extraordinary people,” they told me.

I believed them. That was my mistake.

There isn’t anyone else in the world like me.

I’m different. I’m an anomaly. I’m a monster.

For two years, six months, fourteen days, eleven hours and sixteen minutes, Subject Six-Eight-Four — ‘Jane Doe’ — has been locked away and experimented on, without uttering a single word.

As Jane’s resolve begins to crack under the influence of her new — and unexpectedly kind — evaluator, she uncovers the truth about Lengard’s mysterious ‘program’, discovering that her own secret is at the heart of a sinister plot … and one wrong move, one wrong word, could change the world.



I have this book waiting for me to read for quite a while. I was excited when we received the ARC, but it took me a while to go for it. When I first started this book, it interested me right away, but it was a little slow going. So it took to about 35 percent through to really grab me. Then once it did, it was on. I couldn't put it down and I can't wait to read more. 


Jane Doe has been living in a facility,  she's been tested on, tortured, kept away for the general population. It's been over two years and since then she has not spoken a single world. When she speaks, bad things happen. 

After years of this treatment, the facility brings in a new guy, Landon Ward, he is different. he seems a little kinder, more caring. Jane still doesn't know what he wants from her and still, she does not speak. 

She gets to know this man, she is invited to his home. She meets his family. They go out into the real world. An accident happens. Jane speaks. This is when everything changes, the truth comes out, secrets revealed. At least so it seems. 

Time marches on. Jane is still underground in this facility, but things are different now. She is speaking and she is becoming a part of something... until the day she goes outside again. She meets a new guy. He takes her to another underground facility. This one is different. She then learns more secrets, more lies, more danger. 

Now Jane must decide what to believe and figure out the right thing to do. 



I really enjoyed this read. It was original and creative and well written. I really enjoyed the characters. I mean I loved the characters. The first 35 percent of the book was slow going for me but I think it was me not the book. I am very impatient and without Jane talking and being stuck in her head. Well, she didn't know what was going on so I didn't know what was going... so we were both confused and lonely. Then Land Ward showed up and everything changed. 

I didn't know it would be so difficult to read a book where the main character doesn't speak. It is hard though. I need the character interaction o really enjoy a book. So once Jane starts to talk, the book took off for me. The characters in this book were just fun, funny, witty, the conversations were truly entertaining. There are so many great characters in this book too. 

So Jane is a smart ass. There is no other way to put it. She is snarky and she stubborn and she is independent. She is just an all-around very badass character. She has a heart and loves all those that are important to her. She is a fast thinker and very witty. I really connected to her and I really just loved her.

I connected to all the characters. I loved them all. I mean I really loved them all. And there is quite a few so I can't go through all of them but Cam is really one of my favorites. She is so bouncy and sweet and fun. She is like a ball of energy that is non stop talk and a big ol' heart. 

SO the story was good. I felt it was original but still in the realm of other superpower books. This is a superpower, gene mutation, good vs evil, science fiction read. I wish there were more of these. So if you like these kinds of books, read this one. 

What I enjoyed was the way the powers came about and what they are. It is quite different than any other superpower book I have read. It was well done, well thought out, well written. I could visualize so clearly in this book and just really got into the story. I feel like I am not giving this book justice.

It's really hard to talk too much about it without giving anything away but it's a really good story, its fun, its heartbreaking, its hopeful, its action-packed. 

There isn't really any romance yet. But it's building. There is a chance of a love triangle, nothing to lead me there yet but I see it's a possibility. I hope not but I do know I love both boys already so yeah, it will be hard. 

The friendships are really the focus. There is a lot of friendships building and loyalty lines being drawn. So this is where so much will happen in the next book. This book was for sure the set up. Next installment is going to be crazy, I have a feeling. 

Really really good book. A little slow but one it takes off it rocks! 





Lynette Noni


Lynette Noni studied journalism and academic writing at university before completing a degree in human behavior. She lives on the Sunshine Coast in Australia and can be found baking cupcakes, singing along to animated movies, or daydreaming about being swept away to a fantasy world. Some days, she can even do all three at once — and still find the time to sneak in a nap afterwards.


2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a story that I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoyed this book Jenn and that it kept you guessing! It was probably more of a 3 star read for me.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs