Monday, January 27, 2014

Review: How My Summer Went Up In Flames by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski

How My Summer Went Up in FlamesTitle: How My Summer Went Up In Flames
Author: Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
Publisher:  Simon Pulse
Publishing Date: May 7th 2013
Pages: 307
Genre:  YA Chic Lit
Series: Stand Alone
Source:  Hardcover

  



First she lost her heart. Then she lost her mind. And now she’s on a road trip to win back her ex. This debut novel’s packed with drama and romance!

Rosie’s always been impulsive. She didn’t intend to set her cheating ex-boyfriend’s car on fire. And she never thought her attempts to make amends could be considered stalking. So when she’s served with a temporary restraining order on the first day of summer vacation, she’s heartbroken—and furious.

To put distance between Rosie and her ex, Rosie’s parents send her on a cross-country road trip with responsible, reliable neighbor Matty and his two friends. Forget freedom of the road, Rosie wants to hitchhike home and win back her ex. But her determination starts to dwindle with each passing mile. Because Rosie’s spark of anger? It may have just ignited a romance with someone new…




Who doesn't love a good road trip book. I know I do. I was very excited for this book and was ecstatic to finally get to read it. I enjoyed this book very much. The story was fun, humorous, light, and meaningful. A great coming of age, chic lit, entertaining read. 



Rosie has a bit of issue. She found out her boyfriend cheated on her and then he showed up at a party with that girl. So Rosie did what all teenage girls in love and angry would do.... set his car on fire. Her reward for dealing with her feelings, a restraining order. Of course, its just a piece of paper and besides if Joey, her ex, would just listen to her and they talk, everything would be okay... so the stalking begins. Rosie's parents are desperate, so they send her on a road trip with three boys. Smart right. Well they hope it would get her mind off of Joey, out of sight out of mind. So Rosie goes on this road trip, does a bunch of geeky sight seeing, makes a new friend, learns a little about letting go, and of course falls a little for a new cute boy. In the end all is well.... Well almost. 




This book was a lot of fun. The story was cute. It was a bit unrealistic, at least it seemed so to me, but I still liked it. I think some of the fun was that it wasn't something that would happen in every day life. The story was cute and the road trip was fun. I really enjoyed reading about all the places, landmarks, and side stops the four teen experienced. The author did a great job at keeping me entertained, keeping the book from getting slow, stuck only in Rosie's head. 

The characters were a lot of fun too. I actually liked every character and couldn't even begin to pick my favorite. Okay so I could, but he only won by a smidge. I will get to him in a bit. Rosie, the main character, was bit of a loony toon. She had a temper, she was pretty self centered, she was a lot of clueless, but I liked her. I think I knew a few girls in high school that had a lot in common with Rosie. The best part of Rosie, she grew throughout the book without losing herself. She was still the same person she started out as just bit wiser, calmer, and not quite as self centered. 

Now the three boys that kept Rosie entertained along the way. Matt, her childhood friend, one of her two best friends, fun guy. He knew Rosie better than he knew himself and he was a huge part in her transformation. He was a good boy, comical, standard issue male best friend who has a crush on his female best friend. I liked him. He wasn't my pick for Rosie... but he was cute. Spencer was Matt's male best friend. He was a true geek that could play guitar and sing. He was pretty nerdy but also really cute. I liked him. He was way comical and the most level headed on the trip. He was my pick. Then there was Logan. Hot guy with an attitude. He was health nut but still a big nerd. Really smart, witty, and very sarcastic. He was a nice choice, just not mine. So there you have it.  Three wonderful boys that Rosie can choose from to replace Joey, the creep. 

Majority of the book was the road trip. Lots of stops and lots of interesting characters along the way. Lots of growing for all four characters. The very beginning, before the road trip began, was a little slow for me. Once the group hit the road it was easy reading. 




Great read for a good time with a not so heavy book, but still had some story to it. I am up to reading more from this author. 






4 comments:

  1. I thought that this was a fun story! I agree with you about Logan not being my personal choice although I liked Matt a lot more. Her other book, Famous Last Words, is pretty fun too. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this is just a very quick and fun sort of read. I've had it on my TBR for a while so I might get it out when I need something fluffy to read haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks cute and fun. I think I need more books like this in the library, so I added it to my list to purchase. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a fun little read. Glad you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs