Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Review: Amber House by Kelley Moore, Tucker Reed, and Larkin Reed

Amber House (Amber House, #1)Title:  Amber House 
Author: Kelley Moore, Tucker Reed, and Larkin Reed
Publisher:  Arthur A. Levine Books
Publishing Date: October 1st 2012
Pages: 368
Genre:  YA Gothic Horror
Series: The Amber House Trilogy
Source: Audio

  


Sarah Parsons has never seen Amber House, the grand Maryland estate that's been in her family for three centuries. She's never walked its hedge maze nor found its secret chambers; she's never glimpsed the shades that haunt it, nor hunted for lost diamonds in its walls.

But all of that is about to change. After her grandmother passes away, Sarah and her friend Jackson decide to search for the diamonds--and the house comes alive. She discovers that she can see visions of the house's past, like the eighteenth-century sea captain who hid the jewels, or the glamorous great-grandmother driven mad by grief. She grows closer to both Jackson and a young man named Richard Hathaway, whose family histories are each deeply entwined with her own. But when the visions start to threaten the person she holds most dear, Sarah must do everything she can to get to the bottom of the house's secrets, and stop the course of history before it is cemented forever.



This was a very anticipated read for me and I couldn't wait to dig in. I decided to give he audio a try on this book and I am glad I did . The narration was great for the story, I guess that is a pretty much given when one of the authors narrates. The narration wasn't the only greatness in this book. I loved the main character and the supporting characters and I adored the the story. The pacing was just perfect, the writing style was nothing but goodness. All around a wonderful read. 



Sarah's grandmother dies and she and her family head the manor for the funeral. While they are there, Sarah starts to see things. People that are not there. She becomes very interested in the house and its past. She discovers many things and a couple of boys and the journey through the past becomes dangerous and secrets are revealed. 




I absolutely loved this book. The story was original and well thought through. The idea of visions of the past is a welcome change from visions of the future. I like the thought of vivid memories of another life much better than knowing what's to come.  The story was much like a ghost story but not, full of creepiness and mystery. I wasn't sure where the story was going at first but once secrets started to be revealed, it was all clear and it was a wonderful ride. 

The main character, Sarah, really made the read for me. She as a wonderful person to build a story around. she hasn't had a life of rainbows and unicorns but she has tried to make the best of what she was dealt with. The love of her life is her little brother and he comes with some difficulties. He needs a lot of attention and Sarah is the only one that gets him and can reign him in when needed. She makes it her life to love and protect her little brother, even when it makes her life more difficult. She is very loyal, sweet, and independent. I really liked her. 

I also liked many of the supporting characters. Jackson was one of my favorites. He was quite a love interest for Sarah. He wasn't the only one. There is a bit of a love triangle and I know who I am rooting for. Jackson is just sweet, adventurous, and he treats Sarah so well.  The other love interest, Richard, is not so bad either. He has a strong connection to the house and to Sarah. It really makes sense that they end up together, but my heart belongs to Jackson. 


The story really was a breath of fresh air. The story was nice and eerie. The tone set was creepy while being magical and fantastical. I was very much captivated by the entire story, front cover to last page.  The ending had was sweet and it had an end. No cliffhanger. Still I was left a bit unsatisfied and wanting for more. I didn't feel any sense of completion. So thank goodness there is another book out there. 





Loved it and can't wait for more. 






2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you like this book. I almost picked it up once but I didn't so maybe I will put it on my TBR pile. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this book and I have this galley coming up on my reading list. Good to know you liked it!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs