Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Review: All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

All Our Yesterdays (All Our Yesterdays #1)Title: All Our Yesterdays 
Author: Cristin Terrill
Publisher:  Dysney-Hyperion
Publishing Date: September 3rd 2013
Pages: 368
Genre:  YA Science Fiction-Thriller
Series: All Our Yesterdays #1
Source:  Hardcover

  




"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was.

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.  







I took a bit of time to get to this book. It's been on my TBR for a while, but I didn't feel a need to rush it. I waited way to long to read this book. This book by far surpassed my expectations. It had a bang of a start, a very steady middle, and a whopper of an ending. I LOVED it!




The book is told from two different time lines. One timeline is from Marina's point of view, the other from Em's point of view. Em is from the future about 4 years in the future. Em is going back to save her love, Finn, to save herself, and to save the world. The only way she has to do this is to kill him. The note in her cell told her so. Mariana is just trying to hold it together as the world around her is crashing. Her best friend, the boy she loves, James, has been shot at, his brother is in critical condition from a bullet, and they only thing she knows to do is help James, keep him safe. Em and Marina both have something they cherish on the line, or a who, as their worlds collided, it's a race to see who will end up protecting they one they love.




This book really blew me away. It sounded good to me but for some reason I didn't have high hopes for it. I am not sure if it is because there are so many time traveling books on the market or if the cover just didn't grab me. I knew I wanted to read it but I just wasn't in a hurry. Once I started the book, that all changed. I couldn't put it down. It was very fast paced, very exciting, and well thought through. Even though it was a time traveling book, it completely made sense. There was a bit of predictability in the book, but when it matter it was full of surprises. 

The story was very well written. Tons of background and character building. In the beginning there was just a tiny bit of confusion for me, but I found it didn't take long to figure out what was going on. Bits and  pieces of the story are revealed as the story is read. I really enjoy books that written this way. It leaves the book intriguing without being frustrated. It for sure made the book a real page turner. 

The character building was done so well in this book. Mariana and Em and Finn and James all fit together even in different time lines. I could see the connection with all of them early on and the story unfolded to reveal how the connections all fit. I really liked Em. She was one kick butt, determined, full of heart, loyal girl. She stole my heart early on. I was able to connect to her and feel her from the very beginning. She was very broken but didn't let it control her or determine her outcome. She knew that there was a boy's life at stake. One she loved with all that was in her. Finn. Speaking of Finn. He was just awesome. Very sweet, loving, and also kick butt. James and Marina didn't stand out to me as much but the story was more about Marina and Finn. Marina really did wear on me at times. She was a bit selfish but also selfless. She was selfish over James but selfless when it came to James happiness. She came on a bit too strong for me but the story that surrounded her character made me feel for her and understand her enabling me to like her. I had a harder time with James. A super genius he was hard to connect to on the social front. I understood his actions but didn't like him.  In the end, he was pretty OK though. 

I loved the ending of the book. It made the story even more amazing. The ending was a surprise but fitting and I was left completely satisfied. It seems this will be a series. I am not sure where the story will go from here but I am so excited to find out. Can't wait for the next book. 




The story was just amazing. The plot, the writing, the pacing, the characters. it was all supreme in my book.  
















3 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to this book - I need to find a copy! Just Reading for Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was definitely one of my favorites this year! Such an amazing read...so glad you loved it, too! I thought the ending was satisfying, but I'm more than happy to read more from this world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn! Your reviews are so good! They make me want to read all the novels you do! I mean, this one was already on my TBR list but I feel the need to read it in the next few months. Great review! I'm glad that all of the characters are vivid and fit together nicely.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs