Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday #57 and W.W.W. Wednesday #47


Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.




Shadows
Shadows by Robin McKinley

September 26th 2013


          
A compelling and inventive novel set in a world where science and magic are at odds, by Robin McKinley, the Newbery-winning author of The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword, as well as the classic titlesBeauty, Chalice, Spindle’s End, Pegasus and Sunshine

Maggie knows something’s off about Val, her mom’s new husband. Val is from Oldworld, where they still use magic, and he won’t have any tech in his office-shed behind the house. But—more importantly—what are the huge, horrible, jagged, jumpy shadows following him around? Magic is illegal in Newworld, which is all about science. The magic-carrying gene was disabled two generations ago, back when Maggie’s great-grandmother was a notable magician. But that was a long time ago.

Then Maggie meets Casimir, the most beautiful boy she has ever seen. He’s from Oldworld too—and he’s heard of Maggie’s stepfather, and has a guess about Val’s shadows. Maggie doesn’t want to know . . . until earth-shattering events force her to depend on Val and his shadows. And perhaps on her own heritage.



In this dangerously unstable world, neither science nor magic has the necessary answers, but a truce between them is impossible. And although the two are supposed to be incompatible, Maggie’s discovering the world will need both to survive.




Asylum
Asylum by Madeleine Roux
August 27th 2013




Asylum is a thrilling and creepy photo-novel perfect for fans of the New York Times bestseller Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

For sixteen-year-old Dan Crawford, New Hampshire College Prep is more than a summer program--it's a lifeline. An outcast at his high school, Dan is excited to finally make some friends in his last summer before college. But when he arrives at the program, Dan learns that his dorm for the summer used to be a sanatorium, more commonly known as an asylum. And not just any asylum--a last resort for the criminally insane.

As Dan and his new friends, Abby and Jordan, explore the hidden recesses of their creepy summer home, they soon discover it's no coincidence that the three of them ended up here. Because the asylum holds the key to a terrifying past. And there are some secrets that refuse to stay buried.

Featuring found photos of unsettling history and real abandoned asylums and filled with chilling mystery and page-turning suspense, Madeleine Roux's teen debut, Asylum, is a horror story that treads the line between genius and insanity.






W...W...W.. Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Should Be Reading.... I wold love to hear What you are currently reading, what did you just finish and what are you reading next...



What Are Currently Reading: 

Splintered (Splintered, #1)Reboot (Reboot, #1)Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)

What Did You Recently Finish Reading?


The Last AcademyThe Archived (The Archived, #1)The Program (The Program, #1)


What Do You Think You Will Read Next? 

Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)The Rules for DisappearingThe Summer I Became a Nerd

16 comments:

  1. I don't think I've heard of either one of those ! I'll have to check them out.

    WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the Asylum for a while, I almost forgot about it! Great picks!!! and OMG how was The Program?! I want to read that so bad. <3!
    Beth | The Reading Vixens
    Vixen's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of your picks sound awesome!! I need to make sure to add them both to the TBR. I'm so jealous you're reading The Program and I must look up Rage Within that cover rocks!!

    Thanks for stopping by My WoW and sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these are new to me, but they sound very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for stopping by.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Shadows as a scheduled WoW pick in a couple of weeks. It sounds awesome! And I can't wait to see what you think of Splintered!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Robin McKinley. I didn't know she was coming out with something new.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool picks. I love the cover of the first book.

    follower

    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2013/05/waiting-on-wednesday-46-beautiful-dark.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo... both look interesting, but especially ASYLUM. Gonna go add that to my "to-read" list! Great picks!

    Our WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg, Shadows sounds AMAZING. I hadn't heard of it before, but the whole science vs. magic thing sounds awesome!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw The Program on Netgalley and considered ordering it, but decided that it sounded too depressing. No pun intended! Interested to see your review. You can find my WWW here: http://gwynnethwhite.blogspot.com/
    cheers
    Gwynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, so I'll definitely have to check out Asylum! Thanks so much for sharing. ;)

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOh nice!! Both of those look intense!! Hope you enjoy them!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Asylum sounds pretty good. I need to check it out. How are you liking Splintered? Can't wait to see what you think of it, and The Summer I Became a Nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They both look awesome. I had them both on my list to look for at ALA next month. Thanks for stopping by my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How are you liking Splintered? It's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs