Sunday, May 19, 2013

Review: The Program by Suzanne Young

The Program (The Program, #1)Title:  The Program
Author: Suzanne Young
Publisher: 
 Simon Pulse 
Publishing Date: April 30th 2013
Pages: 416
Genre:  YA Dystopian
Series: Program #1
Source:  Audio

  


        

In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.

Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.




I was wary of this book. I wanted to read it because the synopsis sounded very intriguing but I am not a fan of the previous book by this author.I decided to give it a try and I am so glad I did. This book blew me away, after finishing the book all I could think was "oh my goodness". I am itching for the next book. This book was full of so much sadness, anger, love, and hope. Not to mention so really good thought provoking issues.






Sometime in the future there is an epidemic of teen suicide. The government steps in of course and comes up with the program. They monitor the kids and when any signs of depression come into their lives, they step in and send the kids to The Program, where they stay and recover and come back with no memory of the life they once had. They remember their family but not their friends. Sloane has witnessed her brother's suicide, and a very close friend going into The Program. Her strength and hope is wavering and her only thoughts are to keep a brave face so she does not go into The Program.





I really can't put it any other way, this book blew my mind. I don't know what I was more wrapped up in. the idea of the story, the amazing characters, the love story, or the simple anticipation of not knowing what was going to happen to Sloane and her life. All of it was great and the book really kept my full attention from beginning to end. 

I can't get over the premise of the story. I can't bring myself to believe that anything like this could ever happen. I know all dystopians are supposed to make you feel this way but this one really go to me. Sloane and her friends worked so hard to keep all their feelings trapped down inside so their sadness and fears wouldn't show through. Of course any normal thinking person would know this could only end one way. Keeping feelings bottled up has a really negative affect. These teens were damned if they do damned if they don't. Then the fact that their memories were erased was just mind boggling... um yea erasing the bad stuff is so much better than dealing and growing. The story made me go from sad to angry to amazed. It was really well written and perfectly paced. 

The story was good but without the amazing characters it would have been just good not awesome. I loved the main character, Sloane. She was strong, determined, independent, caring, and as selfless as she could be. She knew how she needed to act and she knew how she felt, but what was most important to her was being what she needed for James as he did the same for her. She cared deeply for her friends and she loved greatly. Her life was full of sadness, hurt, and just some pretty rotten things yet she did what she needed to overcome. She was giving all she could to keep up her charade, she tried to make herself as numb as she could but it was hard when she had such a big heart. 

James was just amazing. I didn't get him for the first part of the book. He was a bit rougher than I like but he was loyal to Sloane and he loved her so intensely. He did everything he could to be what she needed. I liked him well enough, but the second part of the book, James just rocked. He was exactly who I needed him to be and wanted him to be. He was the total package and I fell hard. 

The love story is just Oh MY GOODNESS amazing in this book. James and Sloane have been together for a while already when the story starts and their love for each other can be felt from the first page they interact with each other. Their love never wavered, it just grew stronger. They gave all of their selves to each other, completely and I loved it. On of my favorite love stories for sure.





I want to read it again and I am sure I will as I impatiently wait for the next installment. This is not a book I will easily forget, it will remain on my mind for a very long time.
















4 comments:

  1. When you finish a book and want to re-read it, this has to be the #1 sign that it's AMAZING! I brought this to the beach with me, so I'm definitely looking forward to it. Eeek! Can't wait. Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't really been that interested in this book, but your review has changed my mind. Great! I'm putting it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved The Program, too. :) That love story was awesome, wasn't it? I'll definitely be giving it future re-reads. How was the narrator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the narrator did an excellent job. She was perfect for both Sloane and James. I always forget to mention the narrator on my reviews. They make such a huge different too!

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs