Thursday, November 1, 2012

Review: Zom-B by Darren Shan

Zom-B
Title: Zom-B
Author: Darren Shan
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Publishing Date: October 16th 2012
Pages: 174
Genre: YA Horror
Series: Zom-B #1
Source: Audio 

 

        

When news reports start appearing of a zombie outbreak in Ireland, B's racist father thinks it's a joke-- but even if it isn't, he figures, it's ok to lose a few Irish.
B doesn't fully buy into Dad's racism, but figures it's easier to go along with it than to risk the fights and abuse that will surely follow sticking up for Muslims, blacks, or immigrants. And when dodging his fists doesn't work, B doesn't hesitate to take the piss out of kids at school with a few slaps or cruel remarks.
That is, until zombies attack the school. B is forced on a mad dash through the serpentine corridors of high school, making allegiances with anyone with enough gall to fight off their pursuers.



This is the first Darren Shan book I have read and I was really excited to read the book. Who doesn’t like a good zombie story? The cover is awesome looking and I admit I mainly went off the cover and the name. I really didn’t read too much of the synopsis. I was in for a different story than expected for sure.





B is a teenager that comes from a pretty messed up family. B’s dad beats her mom and occasionally B, when she can get in the way so her dad leaves the mom alone. B’s dad is very very racist too. He hates any race that isn’t his (British). B’s family watches the news one night to see recorded zombie attacks and the only one that believes they are real is B’s mom. B goes to school, bullies anyone of a different race or smaller than she is and gets in trouble. The next day at school she gets trapped in the school with other kids of many races and they have to work together to survive.





So I was expecting more zombies less issues. I am very happy to see the author attack things such as bullying, abuse, and racism. These are all good issues to deal with and to know they are wrong, but I really thought this was more a zombie book. Zombies really didn’t show up until the end of the book. That was a little disappointing for me; however other than that it was a pretty good story.

The story really didn’t concentrate too much on anyone but B and her dad. B is not a likable character. She is mean, racists, and a coward. Her only saving grace is that the author was able to convey just how crappy her home life was and why she is the way she is. She tries to be strong at home, tries to keep her mother from being beat up, tries to agree with her father just to keep the peace, but at school, she is just not likable at all. She decides to be just like her dad instead of trying to be someone better. In the end she gets a little better and I am eager to see where the next book takes her.

The book was well written. The book contained a ton of English jargon, which I enjoyed and thought was very entertaining. The book was very well paced and it did keep me very interested. I felt the characters and even though I didn’t like them, they were well done.

 

Good fast read, just expect more drama than zombies. I will continue the series to see where it goes. 







                            

3 comments:

  1. Oh this does sound different that what I thought too but it still sounds like a book I really would like especially now that I know what to expect. I just got this book a couple weeks ago so I'll be getting to it soon! It's so short!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think this is what I expected from I Am Number Four, more action, less... training? Bonding? I dunno. Just more. It was so hard to finish the first, I'm finding it hard to swallow the pill and read the others. I may do it. The movie was great though! Who can say no to some Alex Pettyfer and his rock-hard abs, yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disappointing. I was so taken by the cover. It makes me sad that it doesn't live up to it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs