Friday, November 9, 2012

Follow Friday #38

Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Rachel of Parajunkee and Alison of Alison Can Read!

Featured Blogs:

     and   Paranormal Romance


Q: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings or pulled-to-publish fanfic?
A: This is a loaded question. I love Fairytale Retellings. I love to see different takes on them but I still want there to be some kind of freshness to them. I don't really want to read the exact same story twice. That is no fun. For example in the paranormal genre for YA, it seems to be the trend now for not so popular girl gets saved and then falls for the really hot loner guy at school, oh and don 't forget the love triangle. Don't get me wrong I loved it in twilight, but not every YA paranormal needs this now. Mix it up! I think that is why I started to mingle with other genres in the YA, to get different. 

I have never really read any fanfic and not sure I will. I don't find the allure of reading a story that someone else tried to continue of one of my beloved books. It doesn't seem it would have the same feel. Spoofs I may give a try. That's just funny. 

What is your answer?


6 comments:

  1. Great answer! I don't mind when books are similar but sometimes it needs to be mixed up a little. The same thing all the time can become tiresome. Old follower :)
    World of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fairytale retellings too! They're actually one of my favorite genres now! Great answer :)

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of feel like it can't be helped if books have similar themes or ideas...I mean, nothing is original anymore, is it? We've just been around too long. :) I do mind a story that's almost a copy-cat, but I read enough reviews to know which books to avoid because of that. Great response!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really mind as long as each book has a unique voice.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah getting tired of the love triangle angle. I don't mind them but once I see that there will be a "choice" I get a tad annoyed. And it usually is in YA! Actually trying to conjure my YA novel idea and keep out a love triangle!!

    Fairy tale retellings I love!! Also with mythology too! I cannot get enough of those because they are just amazing!

    Great answer!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with mixing things up. Sadly though, I'm still a sucker for love triangles, but I must specify - they have to be done RIGHT. I love when maybe both of the suitors are not alpha males, one is sweet, the other is brutish. One is actually evil and turns out to not be a choice after all. There are so many ways to do this. As for fanfic, not sure. If a book sounds good, regardless of its origin or intention, I'll try it. Some ideas may seem original, but they essentially splintered from other ideas :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs