Friday, January 25, 2019

Review: Navigating the Stars by Maria V. Snyder

Navigating the StarsTitle: Navigating the Stars Maria V. Snyder
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publisher: Harlequin
Publishing Date:  December 1st, 2018
Pages: 363
Genre: YA Science Fiction 
Series:  
Source:  Audio
 

Year 2471. A new discovery. Those three words thrill my parents - the galaxy's leading archaeologists - but for me, it means another time jump to a different planet. One so big, my friends will be older than my dad when we arrive. And I'll still be seventeen. Thanks, Einstein.

I really can't blame Einstein, though. No one expected to find life-sized terracotta warriors buried on other planets. So off we go to investigate, traveling through space and time. With my social life in ruins, I fill my days illegally worming into the quantum net - the invention that allows us to travel in space. Of course the only person close to my age is a hot-but-pain-in-the-neck security officer who threatens to throw me into the brig.

But when one of the warrior planets goes silent, we have bigger problems on our hands. The planet's entire population might be dead. And now my worming skills, along with a translation of an ancient alien artifact, might be the key to finding out why. But my attempts to uncover the truth lead to the discovery of a deadly new alien phenomenon, and also alert those who wish to keep it quiet. The galaxy is in real danger and time is not on our side…



I was very excited when I discovered this new book by Maria V Snyder. I knew I wanted to read it right away. I have read her books prior and I adored them. Plus this is science fiction taking place in space. There is a new love of mine. I adored this book too. It was so good. I found that I couldn't put it down and I was very unhappy when it ended. I need more. It was a great story, loved loved loved the main character, the romance is adorable, well written, pleasantly paced. All around just an absolute amazing read. 
Lyra Daniels has only wanted one thing in her life, to stay somewhere long enough to age accordingly with her friends. Her parents are archaeologists that search the universe for terracotta warriors. These strange creatures are old and no longer exist, but at one time they did. Lyra loves to help her parents out but the space traveling is wearing on Lyra. Every time they travel space they travel time and the friends she left behind age but she doesn't. 

Lyra and her parents move to a new  planet and discover so much more than more terracotta warriors. There is big trouble on this planet and they also receive news from their old planet... no communication.... no life left on this planet. Somehow this has to link back to all their new discoveries. 

Oh and among the emotions of leaving friends behind once again, finding new discoveries, trying to save those she loves.... she finds time to maybe to allow herself to get close to one more person. 

I really don't know where to start with this book. It is a new book that has been added to my "stole my heart" bookshelf. I thought this book was freaking amazing. The story, the mystery, the characters, the setting, the vibe. It was all just well perfect for me. I knew or at least felt I would love this story... but I didn't expect it to leave me empty when I was done. I need more now and unfortunately it will be a bit before the next one comes out. On the upside, I may have to revisit this one once the new one is out. Which is okay by me. I think this will be a series  I will feel the need to reread as time goes on. 

Lyra is a pretty awesome character. I can say at the beginning, even though I felt her pain, I felt she was a pain. She started out a bit whiny for me... but it didn't take long for the whiny to end and all her awesome characteristics to come out. I connected to her fairly quickly and really grew to love her. 

Speaking of love. The romance was so awesome in this book. It was kind of a hate (or at least don't bug me I don't like you ) to love kind of relationship. I really do cherish these love stories. The love interest is quite a brooding character at first but he also quickly grew on me and yes I fell in love with him too. 

The romance was just awesome, the banter between the two, the relationship they have even when it turns to more than friendship still has the friendship vibe there... but with chemistry. So for me it was everything I need in a relationship.

I really did enjoy all the characters in this book. They all rubbed me a bit the wrong way at first...but then I got to know them. All the characters have so many layers and that is what I look for in great characters. I need to see they they are multi-faceted and have issues like real people do. The further along in the story I got, the more I just them all. Great characters always make for a great read and this book had just that. 

Now the story. The story was just so interesting. I really didn't know what to expect, where the story was going. There were many things happening at once and I found them all very interesting. There were some intense moments. There were times I was biting my nails, holding my breath, and closing my eyes. There were times I was laughing, smiling, and tearing up a bit. There were also times I wanted to scream and throw my book (except again its my phone so I thought better of that) .

The idea and imagination behind the terracotta warriors just really drew me in. Unfortunately the surface was barely scratched with this guys but I felt hopeful just like the characters when anything new was discovered. It really did draw me in from the beginning, and I have to admit when I read terracotta warriors int he blurb... I was like huh. But really it is very interesting. 

I also loved the writing and explanation of all the time travel as the space travel was happening. I found myself understanding it a bit more than I expected. The idea that its not really time travel but in way it is was different and interesting and I know I need to read more space travel books. 

This book had a bit of romance, family relationships, betrayals, mystery, secrets, adventure, survival, history (even though made up history) and space travel. It was all there. I can't wait til the next one is out. I will grab it up ASAP! 




So in love with this book. I need more asap. If you need a bit of space adventure in your life... read this book it has it all. I would rate it more than 5 if it was an option. I mean really its a 10 for me. 







Maria V. Snyder


When Maria V. Snyder was younger, she aspired to be a storm chaser in the American Midwest so she attended Pennsylvania State University and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology. Much to her chagrin, forecasting the weather wasn’t in her skill set so she spent a number of years as an environmental meteorologist, which is not exciting...at all. Bored at work and needing a creative outlet, she started writing fantasy and science fiction stories. Over a dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria’s learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her Masters of Arts degree in Writing from Seton Hill University, where she is now a faculty member. Her favorite color is red. She loves dogs, but is allergic, instead she has a big black tom cat named…Kitty (apparently naming cats isn’t in her skill set either). Maria also has a husband and two children who are an inspiration for her writing when they aren't being a distraction. Note: She mentions her cat before her family.

When she's not writing she's either playing volleyball, traveling, or taking pictures. Being a writer, though is a ton of fun. Where else can you take fencing lessons, learn how to ride a horse, study marital arts, learn how to pick a lock, take glass blowing classes and attend Astronomy Camp and call it research? Maria will be the first one to tell you it's not working as a meteorologist.

Readers are welcome to check out her website for book excerpts, free short stories, maps, blog, and her schedule at http://www.MariaVSnyder.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs