Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Review: The Call by Peadar O'Guilin

The Call
Title: The Call
Author: Peadar O'Guilin 
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Publishing Date: August 30th 2016
Pages: 
Genre: YA  Apocalyptic Thriller/Suspense
Series: Stand Alone
Source: Paperback
 

Thousands of years ago, humans banished the Sidhe fairy race to another dimension. The beautiful, terrible Sidhe have stewed in a land of horrors ever since, plotting their revenge . . . and now their day has come.

Fourteen-year-old Nessa lives in a world where every teen will be "Called." It could come in the middle of the day, it could come deep in the night. But one instant she will be here, and the next she will wake up naked and alone in the Sidhe land. She will be spotted, hunted down, and brutally murdered. And she will be sent back in pieces by the Sidhe to the human world . . . unless she joins the rare few who survive for twenty-four hours and escape unscathed.

Nessa trains with her friends at an academy designed to maximize her chances at survival. But as the days tick by and her classmates go one by one, the threat of her Call lurks ever closer . . . and with it the threat of an even more insidious danger closer to home.






This is a book about teens that get "called" by strange and terrifying creatures and have to fight for their lives within 24 hours.





What made me pick this book up?
I got this book at BEA and I almost didn't pick it up. The copy I have doesn't have much on the back in ways of explaining what it's about. However, someone who was working the booth was explaining it to another person and I overheard and thought, well why not? So I decided to grab it because it sounded interesting.


What do I like about the cover?
I'm going to be honest, I actually don't like the cover much. It's too simple in my opinion, but maybe they'll change it for the actual published book?


What made me read it?
When I brought back all the books from the BEA, I was really, really overwhelmed and was trying to get through some quickly to review. Anyway, I decided to read it because it's a small book, and it seemed interesting.


What did I like the most?
I like how it changed point of views for the different people who have been called. The writing was also great and went into a lot of detail without being too much. 



The least?

I don't think there's anything I don't like about this book... 



Would you read the rest of the series/Other books by this author?
Yes! I hope he writes more because this one was incredible.






Overall I LOVED this book. I almost didn't pick it up, and I didn't think it would be as great as it was. I was completely surprised by how well it was written and how quickly it pulled me into the story. I could not put it down once I started it, and it might be a quick read but it's incredibly well written, gives great detail and the characters are awesome
.




The Inferior (The Bone World Trilogy, #1)



Peadar Ó Guilín
 


Irish writer Peadar Ó Guilín is the author of the YA novel, The Call, inspired by the beautiful northwest of Ireland where he grew up.

In September 2007, Peadar published his first novel, The Inferior, which the Times Educational Supplement called "a stark, dark tale, written with great energy and confidence and some arresting reflections on human nature." Foreign editors liked it too, and over the coming year it is to be translated into eight languages, including Japanese and Korean.

His fantasy and SF short stories have appeared in numerous venues, including Black Gate magazine and an anthology celebrating the best of the iconic Weird Tales. He is currently working on a sequel to The Call.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs