Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Bookish Banter: Judging Books from the Outside


A little Bookish Banter to get us through.  Bookish Banter is a little bit of banter about our bookish thoughts as we have a friendly discussion over a nice cup of tea. 
We have also added Tea Time... just a little review of the tea.



What makes you pick up a book at the store or add a book to your TBR on Goodreads? 


Do you choose only on summary of the read or does the cover, title, author sway you in your decision? 


This was our discussion over the matter....

Jenn: What drives you to pick it up and say hmm what is this about?



Ash:  Ah. I think everyone will say cover. Literally judging a book by it’s cover.



Jenn: Yes but I tend to pick on titles too. I mean if it has an intriguing enough title then of course I will pick it up. or at times on goodreads just added it and thought I will read the summary later.

This leads me to find treasures among my own TBR because I don’t remember adding the book or I remember and think I really should check this one out. 

Ash:  I know that I like very photographic covers and simple ones too. But I like creepy covers too. Anything that has like a.. classic look. Like an alice retelling, or something…



Covers catch my eye too. More the ones that are bright and not too busy. Most times the simpler the better for  me. Its hard for me to find a cover I think is really creepy.


I do know that there are too many covers that are similar to other books and I tend to pass those up.

Jenn:Sometimes I just search on goodreads for ya for the current year and just add to my tbr by title and cover. Later I will look at the synopsis when I think I will read it. Often then not I enjoy what I pick. Every now and then I delete it off my TBR.

Do you choose books to read just by author. Any authors you will read any book they write?
Like for me Cat Winters, Stephanie Kuehn, Melissa Marr.

Ash:  Jay Asher. He is an amazing author and I love everything I have read by him. Lauria Halse Anderson is one as well, along with Dawn Kurtagich. I'm sure there are more that I just love and will read anything by. 


Jenn: So bottom line... we have all things that attact us to a book.... author, title, and cover design. I guess the synopsis is the last thing we ever choose from. Well at least it is for me. It can, at times, be the break or make point for me... but I try not to base it all on the synopsis. I ahve read some simply for everything but the synopsis... because it was so bad... but the book turned out really good. 







     

4 comments:

  1. I'm a total cover-lover so I will totally pick up books just based on the covers. Sometimes though, that's not always the greatest idea. I've been burned by pretty covers way too often. :/
    An author name is also more than enough to make me want to pick up a title or not.
    It's different though for new-to-me authors. I would definitely read the synopsis first before I decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. new to me authors I try to read the synopsis too but sometimes the covers or titles just get to me.

      Delete
  2. I just recently started picking books up based on title. I feel like 2016 is the year of the weird, intriguing title-- like, Rocks Fall Everyone Dies or 100 Days of Cake or I Woke Up Dead at the Mall. How can you hear those and not be curious??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all those are on my list too. lol. they all sound so crazy I have to read them. I am getting rocks fall everyone dies on audion for next week.

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs