Sunday, March 3, 2019

Review: You May Now Kill the Bride by R.L. Stine

You May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)Title: You May Now Kill the Bride
Author: R. L. Stine
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publishing Date: July 24th, 2018
Pages: 352
Audio Length: 6 Hours and 35 Minutes 
Genre: YA Horror
TW: Murder
Series: Standalone
Source: Audio
 

Two sisters, divided by time. Each with a terrible resentment she can barely contain.
Two Fear family weddings, decades apart... Each bride will find that the ancient curse that haunts the Fears LIVES ON. It feeds off the evil that courses through their blood. It takes its toll in unexpected ways, and allows dark history to repeat itself.
In this all-new Fear Street story, family ties bind sisters together—till DEATH do they part.
What made me pick this book up:
It's R.L. Stine, and the cover is stunning. 

What did I like about the cover: 
Everything. I love that it looks like an old torn up book cover. I love the colors, I love the skull in the bouquet. Everything about it is absolutely perfect.

What made me read this book: 
Honestly because it's R.L. Stine. I grew up on Stine. I love most of his writing. Especially the fear street books. 

What did I like the most: 
So let's start with the story. I love how it starts off in the 1920's (I think it was the 20's it's been a minute since I read it) and then it goes to modern days. I thought that was really cool. 

I love how it's basically the same thing that happened twice now, but also different. Once in the 20's and then once now. It's really interesting.

The pace is really good, like I said, it starts way back when and then comes to now, it's balanced really well, so that even in the not so interesting parts it's not slow, or boring. It has a nice flow going about it the whole time.

As usual R.L. Stine is a great writer. His words make sense, there is no disconnect with what he writes and the characters, or the story he's writing.

The characters are okay. They aren't the best, but they aren't awful. I didn't connect with them as much as I would hope, but I also didn't want them to... you know, die or anything.

This book had me needing to finish it. I needed to know why this was happening to them. 

What didn't I like: 
This book didn't "scare" me. I felt myself holding my breath every once in a while, but I didn't get any creepy feelings. I didn't get scared, or feel myself not being able to sleep at night because of this book.

I understand that when I was a kid, of course I was scared of his books. But come on, time to get horror-ey. 

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
Absolutely!




All in all this was an interesting story that made me absolutely have to know what's going on. 














Robert Lawrence Stine known as R. L. Stine and Jovial Bob Stine, is an American novelist and writer, well known for targeting younger audiences. Stine, who is often called the Stephen King of children's literature, is the author of dozens of popular horror fiction novellas, including the books in the Goosebumps, Rotten School, Mostly Ghostly, The Nightmare Room and Fear Street series.
R. L. Stine began his writing career when he was nine years old, and today he has achieved the position of the bestselling children's author in history. In the early 1990s, Stine was catapulted to fame when he wrote the unprecedented, bestselling Goosebumps® series, which sold more than 250 million copies and became a worldwide multimedia phenomenon. His other major series, Fear Street, has over 80 million copies sold.


Stine has received numerous awards of recognition, including several Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards and Disney Adventures Kids' Choice Awards, and he has been selected by kids as one of their favorite authors in the NEA's Read Across America program. He lives in New York, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs