Saturday, March 2, 2019

Review: The Deceivers by Kristen Simmons

The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)Title: The Deceivers 
Author:  Kristen Simmons
Publisher: Tor Teen
Publishing Date:  February 5th, 2019
Pages: 384
Genre: YA Thriller Suspense
Series:  The Vale Hall #1
Source:  Audio
 

Welcome to Vale Hall, the school for aspiring con artists.

When Brynn Hilder is recruited to Vale, it seems like the elite academy is her chance to start over, away from her mom's loser boyfriend and her rundown neighborhood. But she soon learns that Vale chooses students not so much for their scholastic talent as for their extracurricular activities, such as her time spent conning rich North Shore kids out of their extravagant allowances.

At first, Brynn jumps at the chance to help the school in its mission to rid the city of corrupt officials--because what could be better than giving entitled jerks what they deserve? But that's before she meets her mark--a senator's son--and before she discovers the school's headmaster has secrets he'll stop at nothing to protect. As the lines between right and wrong blur, Brynn begins to realize she's in way over head.

I was a little late for the train when it came to discovering this book. I found it basically before t was published. I was excited but a little wary.  These types of books (con books and boarding school books) are a hit or miss for me. This one was a hit for me. 


Brynn comes from the bad side of town. her mothers is in a bad relationship with an abusive drug dealer. Brynn has given up saving her mom, but she might still can save herself. She cons people in her spare time to save money for college. Her only way out of this crappy situation. This is what gets her discovered by Vale Hall. An Elite boarding school that has their own conning going on. She has a full scholarship to the boarding school and once she graduates  they will pay her way through college. It sounds so good, it's her dream come true, but at what cost. After spending some time at this school and operating some of the cons, it becomes clear to Brynn hat not everything is at it seems, you can trust no one, and nothing is every black and white. The lines of morality are blurred. 


This book actually exceeded my expectations. I wasn't really sure what my expectations would be but I do know that I didn't think this book would be as wonderful as it was. This is a multi layered book when it comes to right and wrong, doing what you have to survive, what cost would you pay for dreams, when is too much too much. This book explored that and so many other things. I also love that there isn't anytime during this book where you can  trust anyone or know what is a lie and what is real. I for sure didn't know. It was written well and it flowed flawlessly. 

Brynn is a great character. I applaud her desire to walk the straight and narrow at the same time knowing to get somewhere in life she may need to bend the rules and  lie just a bit. I love that she is doing all she can  to get out of the life she hates and also questioning the motivations and actions of herself and those around her. It is like she lives in a contradiction of herself and there is no way out. I understand her suffocation and feeling of being trapped. She does live a hard life, she has been dealt a bad hand in life, at no fault of her own she has a messed up living situation and she just wants out. She wants her mother out too but knows that at one point she may need to leave her mother behind. 

Her mother isn't all that bad either. She does what she can in the end to get Brynn away from the bad home life...even at the expense of herself. She just doesn't know how to get out the situation herself. No motivation or no knowledge of how... I am not sure... but she is willing to do what is best for Brynn in the end. 

There are many great characters. There is a little bit of rivalry. A little bit of romance. The relationships explored are great. I enjoyed seeing them mature even though I didn't know if any of it was real. One of the best things about this book is the cons... the short and the long. I really never knew what was really happening and I didn't find myself questioning all of the situations. I realized some could be cons but I didn't think everything could be so I went in to some of it with an innocent mind... more innocent that Brynn's. I think she was ahead of the game on this one. I was shocked in the end but not really.

It was a great read, very fast paced but still well developed in setting, plot, and characters. I truly enjoyed it. 


Another great read for me. 





Kristen Simmons


Kristen Simmons is the author of the ARTICLE 5 series, THE GLASS ARROW, METALTOWN, PACIFICA, and the upcoming DECEIVERS. She loves her family, Jazzercise, and chocolate cupcakes. She currently lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.

For more updates on Kristen and her writing, follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @kris10writes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs