Thursday, May 2, 2019

Review: Wolfhunter River by Rachel Caine


Wolfhunter River (Stillhouse Lake, #3)Title: Wolfhunter River
Author:  Rachel Caine
Publisher: Thomas & Mercer
Publishing Date: April 23rd, 2019
Pages: 330
Genre: Adult Mystery Suspense
Series:  Stillhouse Creek #3
Source: Audio
 


She can’t ignore a cry for help. But in this remote hunting town, it’s open season.
Gwen Proctor escaped her serial-killer husband and saved her family. What she can’t seem to outrun is his notoriety. Or the sick internet vigilantes still seeking to avenge his crimes. For Gwen, hiding isn’t an option. Not when her only mission is to create a normal life for her kids.
But now, a threatened woman has reached out. Marlene Crockett, from the remote town of Wolfhunter, is panicked for herself and her daughter. When Gwen arrives in the small, isolated rural community, Marlene is already dead—her own daughter blamed for the murder. Except that’s not the person Marlene feared at all. And Gwen isn’t leaving until she finds out who that was.
But it may already be too late. A trap has been set. And it’s poised to snap shut on everyone Gwen loves. Her stalkers are closing in. And in a town as dark as Wolfhunter, it’s so easy for them to hide…



I really love this series. This is the 4th book in the series and it starting on a new venture. The first 3 books had a main story, that one had resolution. Now there is a new story arc, but the Gwen's past is still trying to ruin her present life.  So new adventure, new bad guys, new thrills and suspense... but the old good stuff is still there. Gwen, Sam, and the kids. Along with some new characters, this book was such a fun and thrilling read. 


Gwen and her kids are trying so hard to get on with their life. The trouble with Gwen's ex is now over and maybe she can breathe. She had started to help other woman that have some trouble they don't know how to get out of and in this process, she meets a woman that needs her help... The problem is when she gets there to help, the woman is dead. She is now on a mission to prove the daughter is innocent. Which this investigations leads to a bigger picture that is pretty screwed up. 


I wasn't sure where this book would go when I first discovered there would be a 4th book. The third book did a pretty good job wrapping up the story. I wasn't going to complain. I mean I love this series. I just had now clue where it would take me. Well now I know and I really loved the place it took me. It was a wild ride. 

The story was good. I loved how things were connected and some things weren't, some some creepy stuff meeting together at the same time causing all kinds of issues. There was kind of two different story arcs going on. I enjoyed them both. I did like one more than the other but I felt the entire book was really well written.. of course. 

I really do like Gwen and I don't think I will ever feel differently. She is such a strong, independent, smart, and just kick ass. She is a great character. I love her kids too. I mean they are young and dumb at times but they have gone through so much. Her daughter really shines in this book and it's nice to see the kids becoming something great.  The character development in this series is just superb and I love how it's with everyone. 

The book is fast  paced and thrilling, written well, great mystery and suspense, wonderful characters. This one was a wild ride and it was so exciting and I just loved. Number 5 seems to be on it's way and I will for sure read it as soon as it comes out... in about a year or so! 

Just give me the next one, please!  I need it now! 







Rachel Caine

Rachel Caine's rich, diverse bibliography of more than 50 books in print covers many categories and genres. She started out writing horror and fantasy as Roxanne Longstreet (Stormriders, The Undead, Red Angel, Cold Kiss, Slow Burn) before switching to the name Roxanne Conrad and publishing romantic suspense and mystery (Copper Moon, Bridge of Shadows, Exile). By 2003, she began to publish under her current pseudonym, specializing in urban fantasy, science fiction, and paranormal young adult fiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs