Thursday, September 25, 2014

Review: Blood Of My Blood by Barry Lyga


Blood Of My Blood (Jasper Dent #3)

Title: Blood of My Blood
Author: Barry Lyga
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Publishing Date: September 9th 2014
Pages: 464
Genre: YA Thriller
Series: Jasper Dent #3
Source: Audio




  

Jazz Dent has been shot and left to die in New York City. His girlfriend Connie is in the clutches of Jazz's serial killer father, Billy. And his best friend Howie is bleeding to death on the floor of Jazz's own home in tiny Lobo's Nod. Somehow, these three must rise above the horrors their lives have become and find a way to come together in pursuit of Billy. But then Jazz crosses a line he's never crossed before, and soon the entire country is wondering: "Like father, like son?" Who is the true monster?
The chase is on, and beyond Billy there lurks something much, much worse. Prepare to meet...the Crow King.



AT LAST the LAST book of the Jasper Dent Series. I was so excited and could’t wait to dig in. I started the book first with the E-ARC then realized it was coming to audio and waited for the audio. Which was very hard but I listened to the first two books and love the narrator. So I wanted to finish with the audio. So glad I did. This narrator brings so much to the story. I just couldn’t see me ending it without him. So the last book and it was a doosy. It was dark, twisted, demented, intense, sadistic, emotional, horrifying, terrorizing, a bit gross, and crazy good. So everything I expected and more. I am very sad its over but the ending was amazing and ended complete. So I say good bye to Jasper Dent and all his friends on a high note. They will be missed.



We left the last book with Connie in trouble, Jasper in trouble, and of course Howie in trouble. Jasper has been helping in New York to capture the HatDog Killer but what he found was his father. Connie went to New York to help Jasper and what she found was danger. Howie falls for Jasper's Aunt Sam but found out she is danger. Everyone in trouble and that is where this book begins.



OK so the last book ended on quite a cliffhanger. I hate those evil cliffhangers. It was a horrible wait but it is over and this book picked up right where the last one ended, not even a second in between. It starts off intense I mean bone chilling intense. This book had me biting my fingernails all the way through and it was very wild ride. So the last book left off with pretty much everyone in trouble and so we started of this book with everyone pretty much fighting for their lives. A bit extreme. This book had two climaxes kind of. The beginning and the end. The beginning for all three of our favorite characters. It was the ending of a long awaited climax and it I loved how intense the beginning was. It just started everything off awesomely. The book never slowed. It was a page turner, an edge of your seat read, a very nerve racking story and I loved loved loved it. The pace was just my style fast and furious.

The pacing wasn’t the only extreme. Oh My Goodness, things come out and wow it was just wow. I can’t even put into words how extreme. It was filled with WHAT?! And ***GASP*** and OH MY!! moments throughout the entire book. Oh and don’t forget the UH-HUH that makes sense moments too. If you thought that last two books were sick and sadistic yeah it gets worse. This book is not for the weak minded or stomached at all. 

I love Jasper, I can’t get enough of him. His darker side does come out a bit more in this book….. very close the edge and falling over. So if you are looking for Jasper to be the good guy all the way through… No matter what choices he made or what his thoughts held, I loved him through and through. He was loyal to his friends the whole way through and I loved that but good, not so much. He may turns some against him in this book.



Billy is just evil, sick, dark side kind of bad and even though I hated him, I loved it. He was probably the worst villain in all the books I have read. Just wow. Can’t believe someone could be this twisted. Well after this book it almost seemed to be the norm. There is much more in store for all those who read. So many more that are just sick in the head. Billy for sure is not alone in this world.

All the other characters, Connie, Howie, G. William. They are all there and just as lovable as the first two books. This series and this book do not fall short on the character building at all. I loved the visit with all my Nod friends and will miss them dearly. Just to give me a little fix, I have purchased all the novellas and will be reading those soon.

A story so dark and twisted, characters over the edge, fast and thrilling pace. Excellent, Awesome, Worth The Wait. A MUST READ NOW book.










Barry Lyga

Barry Lyga is a recovering comic book geek. According to Kirkus, he's also a "YA rebel-author." Somehow, the two just don't seem to go together to him.

When he was a kid, everyone told him that comic books were garbage and would rot his brain, but he had the last laugh. Raised on a steady diet of comics, he worked in the comic book industry for ten years, but now writes full-time because, well, wouldn't you?

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy & Goth Girl is his first novel. Unsoul'd is his latest. There are a whole bunch in between, featuring everything from the aftermath of child abuse to pre-teens with superpowers to serial killers. He clearly does not know how to stick to one subject.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! Exactly what I was hoping for. I loved the first two, and I'm hoping to get to this one SOON! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am half-way through this one right now!! I NEED to know what happens!!! I also will be reading the novellas after I'm done with this bc I forgot about those. I love this series... it's so horrific and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've considered doing this series on audio, too, since I've yet to start it. Might see if the library's going to get it. :) Did you see he's co-writing a book with Peter Facinelli? Not sure how I feel about that yet...lol.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs