Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Review: Lovely Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara



Lovely, Dark and Deep
Title: Lovely Dark and Deep 
Author: Amy McNamara
Publisher:  Simon and Schuster 
Publishing Date: October 6th 2012
Pages: 342
Genre:  New Adult Realistic Fiction
Series: Stand Alone
Source: HArdcover

  






A resonant debut novel about retreating from the world after losing everything—and the connections that force you to rejoin it.

Since the night of the crash, Wren Wells has been running away. Though she lived through the accident that killed her boyfriend Patrick, the girl she used to be didn’t survive. Instead of heading off to college as planned, Wren retreats to her father’s studio in the far-north woods of Maine. Somewhere she can be alone.

Then she meets Cal Owen. Dealing with his own troubles, Cal’s hiding out too. When the chemistry between them threatens to pull Wren from her hard-won isolation, Wren has to choose: risk opening her broken heart to the world again, or join the ghosts who haunt her.





Another book that has been on my TBR list for a very long time and forgotten about. I can't believe it took me so long to get to this wonderful book. The title says it all. The story is dark, deep, and lovely. Heartbreaking and filled with hope. An endearing read from start to finish. Loved it. 



Wren has recently moved in with her father to get away from a terrible even from her past, a memory, a tragedy she can't get over. She has fallen into a bit of depression and has lost all hope of ever finding her way again. Then she meets Cal. A boy just a bit older than herself.  How they meet, he runs into her with his car while she is riding her bike. Cal knows a bit about tragedy and loss of hope. Now that their lives have collided, they find its one another they need the most to find hope again. 




What a heart wrenching tear jerking read. I laughed, I cried, I lived. It was a well written story about loss, love, and hope. The author made it exceptionally easy to fall into Wren's world. The darkness of her thoughts, the hopeless feelings, and the broken pieces of her heart. She lived in a very gloomy world and I really didn't know if she would make it through. 

Wren was a very difficult character to like but an she was easy to relate too. Her life, her feelings, her thoughts, they were real. She was flawed the way someone her age with her past would be. I found it hard to always like her because she was a very realistic character. Seeing  her life from the outside of course I wanted to slap to her and tell her there are plenty of people out there that still loved her and wanted her to a part of their world not on the outside looking in. I could understand her but I could also see hope when she couldn't so yes it was hard to like her at times but it was very easy to feel for her. I wanted to love her, hug her, tell her its OK. Very well developed character. 

I absolutely adored Cal, and yes I wanted to slap him at times too. Since the story is told from Wren's point of view, I wasn't in Cal's mind but I am sure he had his moments of a pity party for one. But truth be told he had a very good outlook on life most of the time. It was hard for him, but he found a way. I think Wren helped a bunch in this area but he did give it all he had most of the time. He was loving, sweet, and sometimes plain out dumb. Very adorable and likable.

The story was filled with tragedy,loss, healing, love, hope, and real life. I think it had to be on my must read list for realistic fictions. After a very emotional read, I felt good at the end. It wasn't all put together with a bow in the end but it was a good ending. It was a very well paced and written story that will turn your heart inside out and back again. 




A very entertaining and tearful read. 







1 comment:

  1. Wow, this really does sounds one emotional book. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs