Saturday, June 22, 2013

Review: Until I Die by Amy Plum


Until I Die (Revenants, #2)

Title:  Until I Die
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: HarperCollins

Publishing Date: May 8th 2012
Pages: 353
Genre:  YA Paranormal Romance

Series: Revenants #2
Source: Audio

  


        
Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.






I waited way too long to get the second book of this series to the top of my TBR List. I like this series more with each book I read. This was a great read. I just love the story, the spin on zombie and spirits and protectors. I love that it takes place in Paris, I love the romance, I love the characters. I just love it all… well loved it all except for the cliff hanger ending. ARGH!!!!




The story takes place shortly after it all went down in the first book. Kate is now training with the Revenants and Vincent has promised to refuse the urge to die. Everything seems to be going welluntil Vincent has to hesitate to save some in order to keep from dying in their place. Kate is now questioning if the Vincent not dying can be the ending for someone else’s life if he won’t lose his to save theirs. Vincent is trying out a new experiment to keep him from the need to die. When Kate sees that he is looking pretty shabby while conducting this experiment she goes off on her own to find a way that Vincent can keep from dying… at least for her lifetime. This leads her to a new mythical being and a whole lot of trouble.





Wow! This book was so good. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book. Excellent pacing, spectacular writing, wonderful characters, and a very thrilling story. This installment is full of mystery, action, and betrayal… oh and of course some love. What I really like about this story is that is a romance, yes the first one held a bit of insta love, but this book holds so much more than just the love story.


The story grew deeper with this installment. Kate found that there is more to Vincent, the Revenants, and the Numa… more than she ever expected and a bunch more than she knows what to do with. The further Kate dove into the Revenants history the more danger she brought to herself and the ones she loves.

There is a lot of mystery in this book. Someone is leaking secrets, someone is helping the Numa, and someone is out to destroy Vincent.  Vincent has his own mystery going on too. He is hiding things from Kate and it seems to be taking its toll on Vincent. Throughout the entire book some kind of secrecy lies around the corner and it added so much to the story. Little by little things came into the light and some were quite surprising. 

We don't just have some added goodness to the story we have the same love story going on from the first book. It may have started as insta-love but I do love Kate and Vincent's romance. I like both characters so much and their love is sweet, devoted, and passionate. 

Kate is just a wonderful character. I really enjoyed her throughout the book. She was generally pretty intelligent but she did like to rush in head first and land right into a big heap of trouble… Of course I didn’t mind too much because there were so many dashing Revenants that came to her rescue. The only reason that Kate ran into trouble and was way over head most of the time was because of her huge heart. She loved who she loved and would do anything to protect them… Vincent, Georgia, anyone she cared deeply for. After losing her parents she was determined not to lose again. Kate didn’t back down and had quite a stubborn streak, which was so much fun.

Kate wasn’t the only excellent character. There is of course Vincent, the hottie that Kate snagged for herself. Just as Kate would do anything for Vincent, Vincent has no limit on what he would do for Kate. This included some pretty heavy experimenting that was totally taking him down. I liked that he would give up the rush he received from dying for Kate. Vincent just rocked! I also loved Georgia, Kate’s sister. Oh how I loved Georgia. Talk about feisty. She didn’t care who was on the other end of her words. The loyalty and love between Georgia and Kate was just amazing and so heartwarming. I did enjoy all the other Revenants too. They were all excellent.

Tragedy struck for Kate in this book, it wasn’t all love and kisses, there were some serious battles and betrayal and the story wasn’t wrapped up at all. The story didn’t slow down in fact, it felt as though it just got started. I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book! 




Awesome, surpurb, excellent, spectacular… and so on and so on.  There really isn't much more I can say. Loved the first one and this one even more. I am sure great things are awaiting me in the 3rd book. 












1 comment:

  1. Just wait till you get to the third book! I'll be reviewing it this week, I think. I don't know...I think I fell out of love with this series, though. Or maybe I just read the first book at the perfect time because the subsequent installments just didn't hit me the same as the first book. :(

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs