Sunday, March 25, 2012

Review: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Article 5 (Article 5, #1)
Title: Article 5
Author: Kristen Simmons
Publisher: Tor Teen
 Publishing Date: January 31st 2012
Pages: 364
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Series: Article 5 #1
Source: Hardcover

Goodreads Summary:



New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.


The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.


There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.


Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.
Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.


That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.


Review:


I have had my eye on this book. Dystopian is the rage right now and I am ok with that. This one had a great premise. Freedom being completely taken away and new articles to the Bill of Rights, which is now known as the Moral Statutes, in place.


This book really got to me. Article 5 is about an article restricting children born outside of wedlock.


The main character, Ember, is the daughter of a single mom who never married. Even though this happened before Article 5 was in place, the soldiers come and take Ember’s mom to jail and Ember to a reform school.


Ember had to grow on me as a character, I am still not sure how I feel about her. Even though she is very stubborn, she starts off weak. She has a hard time understanding and coming to terms with the way her world really is. She wants to believe things are not as bad as they seem. When she finally comes to the realization that nothing is at it seems she finds a way to wake up and do something about it. In the end she has grown strong but she still seems a little naïve to me. I am looking forward to Ember growing more in the next installment.


I am all about Chase. He seems a bit of a jerk at the start, but for good reason. Once I was really able to know Chase, he grabbed my heart. He is brave, intelligent, and loyal to the right people. He’s one of the hero’s of story and really easy to love.


The story was a little bit slow at times, but it didn’t take away from the story at all. Even though it was seemed slow there was always something going on, every time Ember escaped from one situation there was another right behind it. I really enjoyed the story. There were so many opportunities to really think and wonder about the situation. The writing was vivid and full of emotions. The characters have to deal with grief, change, truth, and so much more. I can’t imagine how I would have dealt with so much at a young age. I am looking forward to the next installment.

Rating:


2 comments:

  1. I think I shall be reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just finsihed reading this, and I thought pretty much the same of it. Somewhat slow but stuff was still happening... I'm excited for the sequel though! Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs